Friday, November 14, 2008

sympathy vs. empathy

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 seemed to be like any other school day. We are wrapping up things in Introduction into Gerontology. On a positive note, our exam that was supposed to be this Friday, was moved to next Friday. That gives me so much more time to finish my review and study. I was planning on doing it tonight and if I was a good student I would start and complete it tonight. Since I am turning over a new leaf from my high schools ways, I believe it would be extremely beneficial to go with my original plan in finishing my review tonight. My class had a presenter from Manitoba Health come and tell us about Personal Health Information Act (PHIA). I’ve signed a PHIA card more than five times in my life time. She was really good at explaining PHIA, probably the best I have heard yet. In working for a number of different support companies and PCH`s, I understand the importance and need, for the use of PHIA and privacy laws.

During my hour break I got together with my group, to go through our project. We needed to meet, but normally I would be with my friend Julie. It feels like I haven’t seen much of her today.

My communication class went really well. My communication skills inventory paper score was between 45-57. That score is supposed to mean that I am dissatisfied with my communication behaviors nearly half the time. I don’t think I completely agree. I’m sure I didn’t answer or understand all the questions on the skills inventory test. I especially enjoyed our sympathy vs. empathy discussion or debate. I get a kick out of members of our class that get so passionate about how we are supposed to be either sympathetic or empathetic in our role as recreation facilitator. I believe that we are to be empathetic with our residence. I try to put myself in there shoes, not feel sorry for them. I think it is important as a class to listen to other peoples views. You don’t have to accept them as correct, you can’t change what people believe. So there is no need to argue in class. That is when I can’t help but laugh. Discussions are great and that is how people learn.

I just want to thank CMT for there distraction of the Country Music Awards (CMA’s). No I am only joking. I am going to finish my review.

No comments: